This is the 13 pound Silver Salmon that I mentioned in the previous post. There will be plenty of fish dinners to come at the Uselton house in the upcoming weeks and months, that is for sure.
This is what we did yesterday. We spent 10 hours in an airplane. From left to right is Jordan, and our hosts Mailise & Phil Widlanski (I promise I will post a better picture of you all very soon). Considering the amount of time we spent in the air we all arrived in pretty good shape. It was 7 pm Anchorage time when we landed. Getting baggage and rental cars, the whole group of us (11 total with one more yet to come) checked in to a hotel. We then made our way to "Club Paris", a 50 year old establishment in downtown Anchorage for a fantastic evening of food, drink and lively conversation. A very fine evening it was as we finished up around midnight and it was not yet completely dark. Remember, EDT we are 4 hours behind and 3 for CDT. This morning we pack up, pick up a few things (fishing licenses most notable) and head for the lodge in Ninilchick. Today is actually not a fishing day as we will journey 4-5 hours down the Kenai Peninsula where I am told an outstanding dinner...
This is a picture of two of our pets taken just over a week ago. They were the best of buddies. Draeger is our almost 10 years old German Shepherd. Smudge and Draeger are looking out the front door, guarding the premises as they often would do, enjoying one an other's company. Smudge passed away today. He was 9 years old and he looked like a miniature cougar. He will be sorely missed by us all. Smudge was Sheila's cat, he was her boy, and I feel so bad to lose him yet I feel worse knowing the sorrow and grief that Sheila feels tonight. Forgive my indulgence of writing about our loss but it really is all that is on my mind. We have been fortunate. Every pet that we have had has been smart and very much a part of what our lives are all about on a day to day basis. Smudge was one of us. Smudge was a hunter. If he set his mind on taking a squirrel the squirrel didn't have a chance. As you can see, Smudge was not camouflaged by any means. He was white as snow. As I said, that ...
Tomorrow I leave for NYC. You already know from a previous post what I'll be doing tomorrow night. So I decided to post a picture of the woman that I will leave behind, a real beauty, a great sport (she has not complained once that she's not going), and my wife of 32 years - the one and only Sheila. Maybe one day I will make a second trip and the two of us can go together, after all, she is the daughter of Henry Tippins - one of the world's greatest fishermen. She is the love of my life.
Comments